Open Door - Our Beliefs
We believe the Scriptures must be rightly divided and illuminated by the Holy Ghost to be correctly understood.
- We believe that man was originally created in the image of God.
- We believe our total purpose of existence is for God's pleasure.
- We believe all have sinned and come short of the glory of God.
- We believe anyone can be saved by the grace of God in believing the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
- We believe the Christian life is lived by the power of the Holy Ghost as the Christian yields himself to walk in the Spirit.
- We believe God's work of evangelism and edification is to be done through the agency of the local church.
- We believe the local church should be independent of any outside political or religious body and led by the pastor as directed by Holy Ghost.
- We believe that Jesus Christ is coming back for the church before the tribulation.
- We believe where the Spirit of the Lord is there is liberty to worship and work for God.
- The Bible - We believe the Bible to be the inspired, infallible revelation of God, completely without error. We believe that "holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost." (II Peter 1:21) that "All Scripture is given by inspiration of God and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness." (II Timothy 3:16) We believe the Bible is the sole authority in all matters of faith and practice. We believe that the authorized King James Version is God's preserved Word for the English language.
- God - We believe in one God, eternal, self-existent, immutable; one God of one nature, one essence, one substance, yet manifesting Himself to man in three persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. The Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are, in every sense, persons; yet these three are one, and we ascribe to them the same adoration, worship, confidence, and titles. They are equal, and they are one God. (Matthew 28:19; John 1:27-33, 14:16; II Corinthians 13:14; Ephesians 2:18; I Peter 1:22)
- Jesus Christ - We believe in Jesus Christ as the one and only Saviour of men (John 1:1). We believe that He was born of the virgin Mary without the agency of a human father (Luke 1:31-35); that He was sinless in His life (Hebrews 4:15); that He died for our sins according to the Scriptures (I Corinthians 15:3); and that, for all who believe, the blood of Jesus Christ, God's Son, cleanses from all sin (I John 1:7). We believe that Jesus rose bodily from the grave; that He ascended to the right hand of the Father, there to make intercession for His own, and that He will personally and visibly return to this earth in power and glory (Luke 24:6-7; Acts 1:11; Romans 8:34; I Corinthians 15:24-28).
- The Holy Spirit - We believe in the person of the Holy Spirit, who came forth from the Father to convict the world of sin, of righteousness, and of judgment (John 16:7-8); to regenerate, sanctify, and seal forever all who have been "born again" through faith in the Lord Jesus Christ (Ephesians 1:13-14).
- Salvation - We believe that all men are sinners by nature and by choice (Romans 3:23; Ephesians 2:3) and have thereby earned both physical and spiritual death (Gen. 2:17; Romans 6:21,23). We believe that all who trust and put their faith in the Lord Jesus Christ as Saviour, accepting His atoning work upon the cross, will be saved forever (John 3:36); will be given glorified bodies (I John 3:2), and will live with their Saviour forever (I Thessalonians 4:17). We believe that all who reject the Lord Jesus Christ as Saviour will be eternally lost, separated forever from God. (Revelation 20:15)
- The Church - We believe the church to be composed of members who have publicly professed faith in the Lord Jesus Christ as personal Saviour and, having been baptized in accordance with the command of our Saviour, voluntarily unite together for the purposes of worship, fellowship, and the proclamation of the Gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ throughout the world. We read of such churches in Acts 8:36-37, 12:1, 13:1; Romans 16:16; I Corinthians16:19; Galatians 1:2, and numerous other Scripture passages.
- ODBC is not a non-denominational church, we are not affiliated with any fellowship or convention; we have no national or regional headquarters. We are a self-governed, independent local assembly of believers with Baptist beliefs and practices.